Thursday 11 July 2013

Another Busy Day

So, yesterday I was up, dressed, done all my mindful exercises and out of the front door by 8.30am. Number one achievement.
I had a lift to school so that I could watch the Leavers Concert. It's the first time I've been to school since I left in an ambulance with a suspected heart attack. Person after person hugged and greeted me with smiles and compliments. As I walked into the hall all the children waved at me and smiled and greeted me, it was lovely - all those smiley faces so pleased to see me.
I laughed and cried my way through the concert and it was really quite emotionally tiring. I then collected my new class for September and spent approximately an hour with them, asking and answering questions and learning about them. I'm very excited about September.
I then went to the staffroom and there were even more people happy to see me.
It was fantastic and I feel I really achieved a big step. I was very tired and glad to have a lift home. My chauffeur came in for a cup of tea and a quick chat. Very interesting because she is currently having a phased return to work after treatment. She is finding it quite tough and is shocked by how tired she is and she hasn't managed a full day yet and she's not been in class for more than two hours at a time. She is very concerned about September and being expected to hit the ground running. She had already decided to reduce her hours before her illness but even so she is very worried.
It really helped talking to her because I am just accepting that I too will find it too difficult to hit the ground running.
While saying goodbye to her the front door slammed on me - I was locked out! She wasn't able to help so I knocked on my neighbour's door and asked for help. This is a big achievement for me as I didn't hesitate to ask for help and I would've found that very difficult in the past. My neighbour is taller than both of us so she was able to help. Lucky the back door was open!
After all this excitement I drove to two schools briefly to gain information and picked up my son from school.

Today I had an appointment with Human Resource and my Head. I was allowed to invite a supporter so my sister was there too. The meeting took place in my house, in my sitting room. My dog just slept through it. The meeting lasted two hours as we discussed the plan for my return to work. I had prepared notes about all my proposals and what is important to me. I started off very talkative but did start to feel tired and gradually spoke less. I'm glad my sister was there as she had my best interests at heart and spoke eloquently on my behalf when necessary. The HR lady was a good source of knowledge and suggestions. I was pleased with the outcome of the meeting as there is a clear plan in place with scheduled reviews .
I am now tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment